Irvine, Calif. — TODAY, Dave Min, University of California Irvine law professor and candidate for California’s 37th State Senate District, announced his endorsement by the California Federation of Teachers (CFT), which represents over 120,000 teachers at every level of California’s education system.
CFT’s endorsement is compounded by the support of over 100 current or former local educators who have donated to Min’s State Senate campaign. Earlier this month, Min announced his campaign had raised over $300,000 in its first six months with 854 individual donors.
“The California Federation of Teachers is proud to endorse Dave Min in his campaign for State Senate District 37,” said CFT President Jeff Freitas. “As an educator himself, Professor Min is uniquely qualified to understand both the importance of high quality education and the challenges facing our state’s education system. We are impressed not only by his passion for investing in our schools and our students, but also by his decades of experience in public policy and his strong progressive vision for education in our state.”
An affiliate of the AFL-CIO, CFT operates 140 chapters throughout the state.
“I am honored and humbled to have the support of CFT and so many of my fellow educators in my State Senate campaign,” said Dave Min. “As the son of immigrants and a product of California public schools myself, I know the critical importance of high-quality public education in creating a pathway to economic opportunity. Good public schools are at the heart of the American Dream, and I look forward to being a champion for students across the state, including my own children.”
Since announcing his candidacy on January 8th, Min has been endorsed by an overwhelming number of local elected officials, state wide leaders, activists, and organizations, including:
- California Federation of Teachers
- Newport-Mesa Federation of Teachers, AFT 1794
- University Council – American Federation of Teachers
- Coast Federation of Classified Employees
- California Asian & Pacific Islander Legislative Caucus
- California Controller Betty Yee
- Congressman Pete Aguilar
- Congressman Ami Bera
- Congresswoman Judy Chu
- Congressman Gil Cisneros
- Congressman Ted Lieu
- Congressman Alan Lowenthal
- Congressman Andy Kim
- Congressman Scott Peters
- Congressman Mark Takano
- State Senator Dr. Richard Pan
- Assemblymember Patrick O’Donnell
- Assemblymember Sharon Quirk-Silva
- California Democratic Party Secretary Jenny Bach
- CDP Environmental Caucus Chair RL Miller
- Orange County Board of Education Trustee Beckie Gomez
- Mayor of Aliso Viejo Ross Chun
- LA City Councilmember David Ryu
- Aliso Viejo Councilmember Tiffany Ackley
- Eastvale Councilmember Jocelyn Yow
- Laguna Woods Councilmember Shari Horne
- Garden Grove Councilmember Diedre Nguyen
- Artesia Councilmember Ali Taj
- Santa Ana Board of Education Valerie Amezcua
- Local School Board Trustee Barbara Schulman
- Centralia School District Trustee Jerry Flores
- Mt. SAC College Board of Trustees Jay Chen
- LA Community College Board President Mike Fong
A full endorsement list can be found HERE.
David Min is a University of California Irvine Law Professor, father of three, and a former economic policy staffer in the United States Senate and for the Center for American Progress. Min began his legal career at the Securities and Exchange Commission to protect the retirement security of seniors, turning down high paying jobs to serve the public interest. He is a leading expert on banking and housing policy.
California State Senate District 37 is located in Orange County and includes the communities of Anaheim, Costa Mesa, Foothill Ranch, Huntington Beach, Irvine, Laguna Beach, Laguna Woods, Newport Beach, Orange, Tustin, and Villa Park.